29 November 2007

It's amost scary, really...

Now, some people will disagree with me, but it feels lie Christmas is pretty rushed on campus. Just yesterday they put up a good half-dozen Christmas trees and a ton of wreaths and static clings, and a nativity set.
I guess it makes sense; we're only going to be here for two more weeks, but it's such a strange thing for me. My family won't even take out the puzzle till Sunday, and it will probably be another week at least before the bulk of the decorations go up, and we never get our tree more than a week or so before Dec. 25. It's just the way we've always done things. We try to put the focus on the Christmas Season, which doesn't start till Christmas day. And I've always thought of this as the correct Christian point of view, but apparently, it's more flexible than I thought.
Meanwhile, all the holiday cheer only makes me more impatient for finals to be over, and less willing to actually study for them.
But soon, it will be over! I'm flying back on Thursday the 13th, and should get in around 10pm. I look forward to seeing you all [i.e. those of you who live in San Diego] Merry Christmas!

God bless,
-Rebekah

3 comments:

Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

I agree with you altogether; and let's not forget, the normal Liturgical preparation for Christmas is Advent.

janetplace said...

What is "the puzzle"? I'll decorate my Jesse tree on Saturday and put up the Christmas trees perhaps in mid-December. But the tree stays up until Epiphany. The people in my neighborhood that put up their trees early take them down on Christmas afternoon...go figure !!!!

ganchi said...

You didn't know? We put together a big puzzle every advent. We start on the first Sunday and try to finish by Christmas. Our family tradition. It's lots of fun on a relaxed afternoon with a glass of eggnog, and our friends love it too when they visit. You can help us when you come in a couple weeks!

You are visitor number...

since 12 Sept. 2007