Actually, I want to keep this as brief as possible, but I sort of wanted to get y'all's take on this, as I haven't been in the USA for the last 5 months and have therefore missed most of the media attention and general vibe of the last few months of the election campaigns and the time since Obama was elected.
This morning at Mass, Father brought up Obama's inauguration in some sort of attempt to interest people in his homily with a reference to current events. And it was odd, because it had barely anything to do with the readings. But somehow, he managed to compare Obama to God, which, amazingly enough, is not the topic of this rant. The problem I had with it was that the only thing he had to say about the president-elect was that
- He's black.
- He's a great orator.
And I'm not here to argue either of these points. Honestly, in themselves, they are good qualities for our next leader to possess. The problem is that these seem to be his only qualities. And this homily really reminded me of something that bugged me very much just after the election, but that I couldn't quite explain at the time.
Democrats are sheep.
OK, I know that's cruel, and I know for a fact that some of my readers are democrats. I don't mean to imply that every democrat fits this description. It just sounded better.
But my point is that I can't readily see any good reason to vote for Obama besides the two that I've mentioned above. At least, if I only look at the media I've seen. Which, of course, is one reason that I'm posting it here, where a good portion of my readership has been in the states when I wasn't. It's possible that everyone in America is focused on the issues. That everyone who voted for Obama took these two reasons as added benefits and not as main reasons in themselves.
But it just doesn't seem that way to me. Prove me wrong and I'll give more respect to the decision our country's people have made.
Speaking of, you've all heard about FOCA, right? Pray. Pray for the salvation of America.
I know this won't change anyone's mind. I'm not trying to. I just thought that now that I can explain my thought process, that I ought to do it. Thanks for humoring me. Oh, and for once, I give you permission to debate in the comments.







4 comments:
You forgot Change. Obama promises Change and that's enough for some people to vote for him.
Nevermind the fact that change only accelerates entropy unless done just exactly right, combined with the fact that something as big as the Federal government has a hard time doing anything just exactly right.
I had a Democrat try to school me in the alleged fact that the image of Obama as all hype and no material was made up by the "right-wing propoganda machine"... but I wasn't entirely convinced because I spent most of election year fighting said propoganda machine after watching it slander away the only man in the race I thought had any sense. Whether he was right or not, I am convinced that the majority of the people voting were doing so for those three reasons (the two and the third mentioned by Emily). That in itself may have made claims that he's all hype and no material easier to believe whether they're true or not: it's easy to think he has no material when nobody needs material to go for him; but the mere fact that he may have material doesn't make it less scary that so many don't need it.
Unfortunately, a lot of Republicans are sheep as well, who vote for their men only because they're not as bad as the Democrats.
I'm a bit cynical about politics here in general. It comes from knowing enough of the thought behind our nation's system to know that nobody is working it anywhere close to correctly, except one guy who got the boot from the leaders of his own party.
"The whole world today seems to be divided into liberals and conservatives. It is the business of liberals to go on making mistakes. It is the business of conservatives to keep the mistakes from being corrected." ~G.K. Chesterton, probably slightly misquoted
You know, that's really well said, Scott.
I'm just glad that I'm finally beginning to understand and be able to express that feeling of injustice I felt reading my Twitter feed in early November.
You know, if you think about it, the animal which represents the Democratic party is a donkey which could also be called an ass.
Post a Comment